Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Waiting Game…

We put our house on the market and have seen some pretty decent traffic but we are still waiting for the right offer. So while we are waiting I still am going about my business with the house and garden just in case we are still here come the fall. So with that in mind I started some seeds for the garden.

2013-04-13 15.21.33 

I have peas, broccoli, cauliflower, heirloom tomatoes, big boy tomatoes, and peppers all started, now all I have to do is get the garden ready and workable to plant. Last fall I planted winter rye as a soil amendment. It looks like I just let the lawn grow it over.

2013-04-13 12.45.42

I went out to start turning the rye under but then I decided that was way too much work. There had to be an easier way, that’s when it hit me.

Yep, I let chickens do the work for me. Its healthy for them to have all the fresh greens, they work the beds for me as well as fertilize it and as long as I have them off the beds for at least a month the “fertilizer” will be just right to turn in before planting.

So either way the garden will be turned and planted but who will harvest it only time wil tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...