Friday, June 24, 2011

Trying to be creative...

Lately I have been going over a ton of creative ideas in my head. I just have this urge to create something and have it be wonderful. I guess as much as it is creative, it is a need for entrepreneurship. It’s a selfish want I guess. I want to create something that people will want to buy and people will know my name because of it. It would be an added plus if I could do it and live comfortably from it. I’m not greedy, I really don’t want to be rich. I still want to work and feel like I earned my money, I just want to be able to live comfortably and not worry about my bills. If I want to buy something I want to buy it and not worry about cutting something else short. Sounds simple right?


Well, it sounds easy but like a lot of things that “sound” easy, it is much harder than you think. It hasn’t stopped me, but it definitely has slowed me down. I think by now everyone that knows me, knows that I want to start my own brewery or brewpub. I have been brewing a while and I have come up with a few beers that I really think could compete in the current craft market. The issue is that I would need a significant amount of start up cash or partners, (there are very few people that I would trust enough to become partners) and I would need to throw myself whole heartedly into brewing. This would require me either to work all the time until the brewery took off, because I would never let go of the stability I have in my job unless I had a sure thing going with sales at the brewery. So that’s a scary thing for me but I know eventually I’ll get to where I want to go.

The other thing I have always wanted to do was write a book. I have always thought about it, but thought I was too dull to do it. I just like the thought of getting up in the morning, going into my home office, sitting down and just letting my thoughts run wild and come to life on the paper. The problem is, I have plenty of decent ideas for parts of stories but really nothing to hold them together and create a cohesive story. The other issue is actually completing a book. I have started numerous times over the years and then somewhere in the process become very self conscious about what I am writing and just stop writing. I feel like people are going to think I’m stupid for doing it, or that it isn’t good enough or that no one would ever be interested in reading something I wrote. However, I am tossing around the idea of actually starting to write again, thanks to a prompt from my Aunt Linda. She suggested I write children’s books and honestly I had never even considered that genre. I mean with A Bird, I am reading a ton of them anyway. So I have a pretty firm handle on what is being written and how it is being written specific to that age group. I have a few ideas for a few options that actually cover a range of ages from toddler board books to youth readers. We’ll see I guess if I can actually finish a project like this. If that happens then I’ll worry about the next phases of editing and publishing as I get there.

Well, now that the creative juices are flowing, I guess I should get to work before they dry up. What are some of your dreams and aspirations?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...