Monday, August 29, 2011

This Weekend = One Wild Ride

The end of last week right through the weekend was quite a wild ride. Have you ever felt like you needed a vacation just to recover from your weekend? I could use a whole day to do nothing but sleep. Seriously, I could shut my eyes and be out like that. Within the last two weeks we have had 1 trip to urgent care and 2 trips to the ER, with the two ER trips happening this weekend. Basically, we are all getting through this with nothing too horrible, but it was definitely scary when it was happening.

So it all started with getting A Bird squared away Thursday morning. She had this huge weird rash and the doctor’s couldn’t get it figured out and it had been going on for a couple of weeks. Finally, a doctor suggested we take her to a dermatologist. She had her appointment Thursday and it turns out that she had a severe case of eczema. Great, finally an answer and a treatment to get her some satisfaction. It is always so stressful when your kids are sick and there isn’t much you can do to help them.

L Bird gets home from work Thursday and has a tiny bump by her elbow that looks like a small bite. She mentioned to me that she had noticed it earlier, but wasn’t too concerned. Then Friday morning she gets up and is covered in hives and her hands are extremely swollen. I ended up getting a late start to work so I could drop A Bird off at daycare while L Bird went to the ER. The ER doctor chalks it up to a penicillin allergic reaction because she had just finished some antibiotics. He gives her some pills for the itching and tells her to let it run its course. The pills worked well enough where we both went to the B.B. King & Buddy Guy concert (I’ll try to post some video from the show, it was awesome!) later that night.

Saturday morning comes and L Bird’s hands are swollen again and the hives are spreading and red and itching. She contemplated going to the ER again, but decided to muscle through it and see what happened. So she was pretty miserable all day, but she was managing and I have to leave to go to my brother’s bachelor party. The party is a good time, but L Bird calls me about 10:30 PM saying that her throat was tight and she was worried. After some talking she thought about it, and decided she was well enough and she didn’t need to go to the doctor’s.

Then in the middle of the night L Bird is on the end of the bed hyperventilating and crying. She is yelling to me to wake up because something is wrong. I jump out of bed and try to figure out what the hell is going on. She told me that she got up to go to the bathroom, then her throat felt really constricted and she couldn’t breathe, then as she was walking out of the bathroom she must have passed out because she woke up on the floor looking at the front door. So now I’m in total panic mode. I call 911 and get an ambulance on the way, then I called and woke my poor mother up at 3:30 AM to come down and stay with A Bird while I went to the hospital. The ambulance and EMTs show up and they start giving L bird oxygen and she is starting to be able to breathe better. The whole time I’m praying that A Bird stays asleep so she doesn’t wake up and be traumatized by seeing her mother strapped to a gurney and being wheeled into an ambulance. Luckily for me she slept through the whole ordeal.

My mother shows up to stay at the house and I was off and racing to the ER. When L Bird got to the ER, the doctor gave her a shot of epinephrine to stop the swelling and something for the hives and itching. We spent the next 4 hours sitting and watching her hives gradually lessen in degree of severity, but not go away completely. The doctor finally releases us with some more pills and a final diagnosis of severe allergic to penicillin.

We finally get home and everyone (L Bird, my mother, and me) are exhausted, just purely spent, but A Bird is a ball of fire and ready for the day. Luckily my Dad called and he and my step mother came down and took A Bird for the day. My Mom went home to rest and L Bird and I got some well needed rest.

At the start of today I was and still am dragging. I’m still too tired to be of much use to anyone, but thankfully things look like they are starting to turn the corner. A Bird’s eczema is just about all cleared up and while L Bird still has hives, they are much less than they were and she is having no trouble breathing.

It was one hell of a weekend, but even with all of that I am so thankful. I am thankful that it was something that was treatable with both my ladies. Things could have been a lot worse, but in the end they turned out ok. Thank God for small miracles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...