Friday, August 27, 2010

Funny how things change....

It seems funny how things change and you don't even realize that they've changed until someone from your past reminds you of it. While my wife and I were engaged and just married, I used to play golf. I played most Saturdays during the summer and every Monday night on a league. I was even playing golf right up until the week before my daughter was born. I'm not that great, but I was getting better every time I played, I think I had 11 handicap.

However since A Bird has been born I can count the times I've played golf on my right hand. Yep, that's right I went from playing golf 50 - 60 times in a summer to 5 times in the last 3 years. I've played every year on Father's Day since she was born and two tournaments. Sure I miss the enjoyment of playing golf, but the thing is I didn't even miss it until one of my friends called me up and asked me to play in a tournament this Saturday. Even the last 5 times we I have played, it hasn't been the same, the whole time I'm out on the course, my mind is always at home with A Bird and my wife, L Bird. I really enjoy the time we spend together, it never seems like enough. I work ten hour days and L Bird works every other Saturday so, we have just a few short full days to be together and go places, so I feel like I'm wasting my opportunities if I'm out doing something else.

But even with that being said, I am going to suck it up and play in a tournament this Saturday, because even with all I said above, I haven't done anything for myself in awhile so I deserve a small reward I think, but the bigger reason is it is for a good cause. This tournament is a memorial tournament for a friend of mine's son. Last year my friend lost his 11 year old son to Leukemia. The scary thing is that it was undiagnosed leukemia, up until the week before he passed away, he was a completely normal, healthy kid who was turning out to be one hell of a wrestler on his youth league. Then one day he complained of some aches and pains and was real lethargic. They took him to the hospital to find out the devastating news, and then it was only a few days later that he passed away. So this golf tournament is a memorial to him and the proceeds are going to charity.

Now that I've brought everyone down, I guess the main point of this rambling post is that it is real funny how kids can completely change your outlook on life. How you can only remember your life from the time  they entered it, the person you were before that seems like a far off dream, but that is ok, because they make that trade so worth it. I can't remember the actual quote or who said it, but it is definitely true. "The decision to have children, is making the decision to have your heart walking around outside your body."

Well, I suppose I have rambled enough. Enjoy your children and enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...