Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Where does "girly-ness" come from?

How do little girls become so girly so fast. Yesterday I was in the kitchen pouring myself a glass of water, when A Bird comes tearing around the corner only to stop and tell me “Dad, I’m going to stop biting my nails, so Mom can paint polish on them.” and then she was gone in another swirl of coloring pages and doll clothes. I just shook my head and thought ok, and went about my business. When I told L Bird about it later, I asked her if she had mentioned anything about painting her nails for her and she said that she hadn’t.


I guess it just amazes me how girly and what a little diva A Bird really is. L Bird isn’t super girly with lots of make up and frilly dresses, none of A Bird’s Grandmothers are very girly either. But it just seems to be that A Bird is destined to be a diva. As I think back on it, she has said or done things ever since she was a tiny little girl that should have clued me in to the fact that she has the princess factor. Another great example is a month or two ago it was a birthday party for someone and we had just started letting A Bird pick out what she wanted to wear, so I told her that we were going to a party and asked her what she would like to pick to wear. She immediately grabbed a pink dress and informed me that you have to wear dresses to parties so you look beautiful. I was stunned, but it was just so cute I had to laugh.

Now don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with A Bird being girly. I’m glad that she has a strong personality and her own individuality now at such an early age, its just when she was born I didn’t realize how girly she could be. I had visions of her getting older and working with me outside in the garden or getting dirty camping or hiking. I guess I just envisioned her as being more of an outdoorsy/granola girl. She definitely has that side to her too, she loves to get dirty and stomp in puddles, she picks up bugs and worms without hesitation, and she loves to “drive” the lawnmower, but she just adds her own drama and princess flair to it, by doing all of those things while wearing her Barbie “Glass Slippers” and a tiara.

In her Snow White ball gown.

I’m sure I’m in for more wonderful surprises as she gets older and she finds her way in this world, but right now I’m just enjoying my little Diva!.

Please notice both the tiara, the fact that she has to be in the center and of course, the hands on the hips!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...