Friday, December 10, 2010

Man, sometimes I hate being right…

Well, all I can say is man, I hate being right sometimes. I am just defensive and suspicious by nature, I have seen enough in my short time on this earth to know that there is always a reason behind everything someone does. One of my favorite quotes is from Kevin Costner in “Open Range”, when he says “Most men will tell you their bad intentions, if you let yourself listen.” Truer words have never been spoken, but its just a real big comedy to watch how things play out when you know what’s going to happen.

I am now officially at my new winery, and things are just funny. I have a leg up on most people because I worked there for 4 1/2 years before I moved into a my current position at the sister winery. So I know everyone’s quirks and personalities and who’s allied with who, but its still interesting to see who sidles up to who. Now I had a suspicion that someone I work with has been eavesdropping on my conversations and feeding that information to other people. Now me being the suspicious prick that I am, I laid a little trap. I specifically waited for the spy to be in his office, then I struck up a conversation with another guy around the corner from his office. Now I knew that the minute I mentioned this woman’s name, his ears would perk up because he definitely trying to form an alliance with her. Sure enough, the minute I said her name, I heard his chair creak as he got up and moved to his office door. I said things that I have said to the woman in person to make sure that I wasn’t talking behind her back. I just said how I didn’t like her management style and she had some bad habits, then I left it at that and I walked towards the printer which is on the other side of the spy’s office and sure enough there he was standing in the doorway. I pretended not to notice and he was off like a bullet to this woman’s office. So I quietly followed him and sure enough there he was spilling all of his “secrets” to her, then to my surprise he embellished just enough to make her mad. Now that was a surprise, but now I see the playing field a little clearer.

Now this all played out at the end of the day, so as I was wrapping up and getting ready to the leave the woman goes into the boss’s office and closes the door. She was in there for a good fifteen minutes and when she came out her eyes looked misty. (This is no surprise, she gets weepy at the drop of a hat. I think its her way of getting sympathy and getting what she wants.) Now they could have been talking about a million other things than me and I was happy to believe that. However, I knew that was not the case, and sure enough I was right, as she walked past me she told me that I should plan on working late Monday and “wear my cleaning clothes”. (***side note*** I am going down to the sister winery Monday afternoon to finish packing up the lab and a quick clean of a few areas, and she happens to be in charge of the clean up) So just by the way she looked at me and her tone as she spoke, I knew she was pissed and had gone into the boss’s office to cry and get his approval of my “punishment”.

Now all of this is just water off a duck’s back to me, I know what I actually said and if I have to I have a credible witness to what was said. So I really don’t even care, but just as a double check, I walked into the boss’s office and dropped off a ticket that he needed, and I said is everything good and he just rolled his eyes. So as far as I am concerned I am in the clear and a whole lot wiser for my little plan. There are politics at every work place but its nice to be able to see who’s on what side.

As soon as I can find a politically correct way to say mind your business and keep my name out of your mouth, they’ll all know how I feel and how I see them. But until then, I am fine keeping my silence and watching the rats and snakes plot and scheme.

Ahhhhhhh, ain’t work grand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...