Friday, December 17, 2010

The Simple Pleasures of Being Young

I have never been asked the question “Dad, do you need a little light?” more times than I have today. It all starts with a lousy $5 dollar flashlight. I was doing an insane amount of last minute Christmas shopping, you know because I’m a man I tend to wait until the last minute, but anyway I was in Lowe’s and I see this old guy fiddling with a flashlight in the checkout. Apparently it was a 3-in-1 flashlight, it was a regular flashlight, then it has a plastic tube that lights up blue like some sort of awesome mini Star Wars light saber, then finally the light saber flashes. As this old guy was going through all of the motions I was laughing to myself because I knew I was going to buy A Bird one.

**Ever since she was old enough to crawl she has been finding flashlights and carrying them every where. She has this weird attraction to flashlights, she carries them every where, there are two under her pillow so she “can read her stories in the dark”, and if my big flash light is out she is grabbing that and chasing the dogs and cats with it. I personally think it all comes from Grandpa Da, he has the same affinity for flash lights, I seriously think he owns like 5,000 flash lights. It is such a thing that one year for his birthday as a joke, we all got him flash lights, and I honestly think that is the happiest birthday I’ve seen him have.

So anyway I bought it and gave it to her on the way home from daycare, then it was “Hey Dad do you need a little light to shift?” and she would flash it blue, then I was changing CD’s and I opened to the glove box and it was “Hey Dad do you need a little light to find my CD?”. Then we got home and it just kept going,  “Hey Dad do you need a little light to hang up your coat? Do you need a little light to let Linus out of the kennel? Do you need a little light to see the dog food?” and my all time personal favorite, “Hey Dad, I pooped do you need a little light to come and wipe me?”

She is still carrying it as we speak, she is not even putting it down to eat. I miss being young and being able to take the smallest thing and have the best time with it. Now it seems like everyone is so caught up with keepin’ up with the Jones’ that everything has to have a huge price attached to it and when you do get you not happy with it or able to enjoy it because its either not better than the neighbors or you spent too much on it and your broke and feeling guilty.

Oh well, but what I failed to mention in this post is that I bought myself a matching Green flashlight, so whatever suckas I’m off to sword fight with flashlights and forget about the world for awhile.

SANY0753

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...