Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Stressing over the to-do list

It seems that lately my to do list just keeps growing and growing. It all starts with our house, we bought it two years ago from a real estate agent and her husband who had flipped it. That should have been my first clue to the big mistake I was about to make. I won’t name names due to the legalities of slander/libel, but I will say that she is a real estate agent and her husband is a “contractor”. I would really like to know how many jobs he has been kicked off of for shoddy work. Since, we have bought this house, we have had the “new roof in 2005” leak in multiple areas because he lined up all the seams of the shingles, found dangerous electrical wiring, found buried electrical boxes and water shut offs behind drywall just to name a few things. If you do want to know who this lovely local duo is, just send me a message and I’ll tell you in private.

But anyway, my newest headache has been the new hot water heater I just bought. We bought an EnergySmart Electric Hot Water Heater and on Christmas Eve it blew the control board, so a technician came and replaced the control board and the very next day the new control board was blown and I heard a buzzing sound coming from the panel box. After some careful inspection, I found that the panel box in the laundry room wasn’t wired correctly and was overloaded and as an added bonus there was no insulation in the wall that the panel box was located in. So because of that mess, I have one more project to add to my spring/summer to do list.

My list starts like this:

1. Tear off roof over laundry room and replace it.

2. Tear out two walls in the spare bedroom, find  the leak in the corner, fix the leak, replace insulation and drywall and replace the baseboard heater.

3. Tear down back laundry room wall, put in a new panel box and re do the wiring with the help of my Pop, insulate that wall and replace the drywall.

These things are stressing me the hell out, one I don’t have a lot of knowledge in any of these projects. I really can’t afford to hire anyone to do these projects, which means I have to rely on the help I get from family and friends. Now don’t get me wrong, without my family and friends I would be lost. I am eternally thankful for all of the help and time they give me. It’s just because I have a lack of knowledge, they end up doing the majority of the work while I stand there and do the easy grunt work. So because I know I am pretty much useless for some jobs I hate to ask people for help.

The whole thing is just bugging me out right now. I know that these things will get done and I will have learned some new skills along the way, its just I’m always afraid of what is coming down the pipe. It seems like every time I fix one problem I find three more and two of the three are due to someone’s incompetence. But anyway, I’ve rambled and ranted long enough, thanks for letting me vent.

2 comments:

  1. Matt, I am sorry we didn't know you were moving in there and talked to you :(
    We have had some similar situations ourselves. I am sorry you guys are going through that. Mitch says to call Holmes on Homes: http://www.hgtv.com/holmes-on-homes/show/index.html

    He helps people in your situation. Deep breath! Keep everyone safe and the rest will happen in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie, I know things will get taken care of and they will get done right. It's very frustrating and I feel like I got taken for a ride. A valuable lesson I won't soon forget, but thanks for the words of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...