Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Putting things into perspective…

Today was a long day, it was the first day back after the long holiday weekend and I was still exhausted from everything that happened over the weekend. I made it through the day and came home to find this:

DSC01354

Yep a big old hole chewed right through the drywall. I was instantly fuming and looking for the culprit:

DSC01355

That’s Roxy in her best I’m guilty and I am ooooooh sooooo sorry face. Apparently in her old age/senility she has taken quite a liking to the taste of drywall. I found her hiding and looking guilty, and I knew it was definitely her, because Captain Destructo Linus was still safely locked away in his kennel.

She is too old to actually punish the way she should be punished, so I lightly cuffed her and was fuming about boiling her in a pot when the phone rang. It was my mother and the first thing she said was to turn on the 5  o’clock news and her voice was very serious. I instantly started to panic until she told me that everyone was OK but there had been a scary situation.

John and Lisa were leaving for their honeymoon this morning and they ran into a bit of trouble. Apparently, the first leg of their flight was from Rochester to NY or NJ. The flight was extremely turbulent, so bad that Lisa,who has flown many times got sick. Then one of the engines lost its hydraulics and the pilot informed them that they need to prepare for a crash landing. The pilot managed to get the plane to an airport in NJ,  and they came in hard. I guess it was hard enough to break the landing gear, but thankfully that was all that was broken. John and Lisa were unhurt, but were seriously shaken up and they still had another flight to board. It was also, John’s first time flying, it must have really inspired confidence in him, huh?

That phone call definitely put things into perspective for me. Yeah a hole in the drywall is a huge pain in the ass, but it can be fixed relatively easily. A little tape, a little mud and presto the hole’s all gone. It’s a whole lot easier to fix than a  injured or worse, family member. So with that in mind, I’m going to hold close to my family tonight and thank God for all I have and for blessing me with such a large and wonderful family.

Oh yeah, and I have to patch drywall, wish me luck….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...