Monday, March 12, 2012

Weekend Bonding

If I had to come up with a theme for this past weekend, it would have to be something to do with bonding. There was a good deal of bonding, some manly bonding over junk houses and firearms, and then there was some marital bonding as L Bird and I celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary.

Saturday morning I packed up a couple dozen eggs and went in to Cpt. Insano’s house as we were going to look at a possible house he wanted to buy. So after some dicking around and waiting on the realtor we finally show up to this house. Now, they are only asking 14K for it, so I knew it was going to be rough, but how rough was the question. We walked up the driveway and entered through the back, and were greeted by a dead mouse. Yeah that’s a good sign! So looking through the house, there were obvious signs of neglect and damage, but there were good signs of work that had been started but hadn’t been finished for one reason or another. The plumbing in the basement looked all new, it was a mix of copper, PVC & PEX. It looks like someone had started putting in a new electrical service and both the electric and water meters were brand new shiny meters. It needed a new roof, as there were a few leaks and water damage in the upstairs. Overall, for only $14K it could have been a lot worse. We headed back outside and chatted with the realtor and found out that the guy who owns it owns several other properties, bought this one for $40K and just ran out of time and patience to put into it so he left it to rot. Now he was just looking to unload it and be done with it. Hearing that perked up the Cpt.’s ears, so now he is contemplating a cash offer for less than $14k to buy it and fix it up as one of his rentals. If he does buy it, there will be a lot more bonding as we gut it and rehab it.

Later that afternoon, L Bird, A Bird and I met with my Dad to drop off A Bird. L Bird and I had dinner reservations at Rheinblick German Restaurant for our anniversary so A Bird had a dinner and movie date with her Papa while we were out. He took A Bird to dinner at her favorite restaurant, McDonald’s, then on to see Dr. Seuss’s The Lorax in 3D, so she was pretty happy. L Bird and I continued on to our dinner which was fantastic. We both got a different schnitzel, L Bird had a nice glass of Riesling and I had 32 ounces of cold, deliciously dark goodness called beer. It was nice to be able to sit and have a conversation without being interrupted by A Bird or the dogs. We had good conversation, talked with one of the waitresses we know, and just had a good time. We left the restaurant completely stuffed and happy.

Sunday the weather was perfect. It was sunny and about 65 degrees with just a light breeze. In the morning I got a text from my brother asking me if I wanted to me him at my Grandfather’s to do some shooting. He knows that I just bought a new gun and had been itching to shoot it, so we set it up for noon. I packed up my gun, extra clips and ammo and headed over. When I got there my brother, my step-father and grandfather were ready to head down back to shoot. My family is a family of gun nuts enthusiasts, the standard saying is “It isn’t a Darling get together without some shooting.”. So the four of us walked out back to the range, my Grandfather owns a lot of land behind the house and the majority of it is woods. There is a nice clearing with a huge clay bank that they have been using as a backstop to sight in rifles, shotguns, and handguns since the 1930’s. If they ever dug that bank out I couldn’t imagine how many tons of lead that they would pull out. We placed our targets up on the bank, loaded up and started firing. Everyone shot every gun that was there. I put the first 50 rounds through my Glock 19, then shot my brother’s Ruger Mark 2 .22 caliber pistol, then finished off with my brother’s Ithaca lever-action .22 rifle. Once all of the ammo was gone, we headed back up to the house to find out my Grandmother had ordered pizza for us for lunch and it was on its way. So we had a nice lunch discussing guns and house hunting.

After lunch, I headed home and took A Bird up to my Mom’s for dinner while L Bird ran a meatloaf down to her Grandfather.

Overall this weekend was a great weekend. I got to spend a lot of time with the people that mean the most to me. Looking forward to next weekend, it looks like it is going to be another fun filled weekend with friends and family.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...