Sunday, November 3, 2013

A Nice Surprise

I hate surprises, I really do. I have a very analytical mind and I am a planner. I always like to know what is going on so I can gameplan for the worst, I know I’m weird, right? So for a week L Bird was pestering me with “I am taking you somewhere on Saturday and I’m not telling you where.” which put me in the greatest of moods. Then Saturday morning comes and everyone is up early, we have a house showing mid morning, L Bird has to go to work, and I AM NOT a morning person. So things were a little rough because I was CRANKY, so cranky that L Bird cancelled the whole day. However, as the day progressed I slowly pulled myself back to an even keel, it helped that when L Bird got home from work, Nat was napping and A Bird was playing in her room and I got to lounge on the couch and catch the last 45 minutes of The Four Sons of Katie Elder with John Wayne, I mean c’mon who doesn’t love The Duke.

My Mom came down and watched the girls, and we headed out. After about 15 minutes of driving we pulled into our destination, Climbing Bines Craft Ale Company. This was my surprise, glorious, cold refreshing craft beer tastings. L Bird definitely knows what gets me. So we go in and the place is crowded with people, L Bird and I make our way to the bar where I ran into a friend from school I hadn’t seen in years, Maryanne. We chatted for a few minutes and it was nice to catch up before she had to take off. Now L Bird and I get our spot at the bar and I did a full flight, and L Bird only did their House Line flight.

climbingbines2

The tastings were great, they have nice sized tasting glasses that you get to keep after your tasting is finished, the beers were very good which I was pleasantly surprised at and the guys behind the bar were an awesome group of guys to talk with.

A few highlights were they had two hefeweizens and they had a couple of one offs that were wet hopped which were very good. I ended up buying a 32 oz Grenade of the Hoppy Apple Pie Ale. This beer was one of my favorites, and I bought it because it was so different and was a one off, so once the barrels were gone they were gone and they weren’t sure if they would make it again. It was a light ale but it tasted of apple cider, cinnamon, nutmeg and beer mixed perfectly. Definitely an interesting drink, I don’t think I could drink a lot of it but it was very good.

After about an hour or so of drinking and talking we packed it in and stopped for a picture by the sign, then we were off to an early dinner with friends then home. It was a great night and a great surprise, thank you L Bird.

 

climbingbines1

 

If you get the chance definitely make the time to stop here and drink some great beer. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...