Tuesday, October 5, 2010

He was born to run....

I had one of the most awful things happen to me today. I was at work and I got a frantic call from L Bird. One of our dogs, Opie the beagle slipped his lead and ran into the road and was hit and killed by a man driving a truck. As bad as it was for me to hear this news, it was tremendously worse for L Bird because she witnessed the whole thing. She saw Opie had gotten loose and went out to get him when he took off for road and saw him get hit. The man who it him never even slowed down, he just kept right on driving like a callous asshole.

Even though there is nothing L Bird could have done to change this awful accident, she has been beating herself up about it all day. I feel awful for her because there was nothing she could do as it was happening and that is such a helpless feeling. Then that is topped with the vision of it happening.

I drove home as fast as I could, and when I got there one of neighbors had helped L Bird get Opie into a blanket and on the deck, but it was too late. The only good thing is he appeared to go almost instantly with no suffering. So I pet him a few times as tears streamed down both L Bird's and my face. Then I loaded him up into the Jeep and took him to the vet to be cremated, then he can take a position on the mantle next to Frisco.

Now I have the unfortunate task of explaining death to a 3 year old. Right now she thinks Opie just ran away and will come back and I am partially inclined just to let her think that, but I feel she should know, Opie was her dog, she did pick him out. I am so not looking forward to her questions, but its what's right.

118

He was a great dog. He was excited to see you when you got home, he loved to chase anything you threw for him, and he would love to climb up and try to sit with you no matter where you were. We love you Opie. He definitely had the true instincts of a beagle, when his nose picked up a scent, his ears turned off and he was tracking it down. He was born to run and chase rabbits and squirrels. Well now you can chase them all day long in the lush green meadows of heaven. We love you, Opie!

2 comments:

  1. So sad!! Hope the little one does ok with the news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. So far she has been doing well with it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...