Saturday, July 24, 2010

Still waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

So earlier this spring I decided I would get a few day old chicks, 5 to be exact to raise for the fresh eggs. I have always had a love for simpler times and doing things myself rather than being so reliant on big business, corporate America, "The Man". or whatever you want to call it. Plus I have always wanted to raise chickens. I found a hatchery that would ship small order runs of chicks, and I placed my order. I mixed and matched 5 chicks, I ordered 2 Black Australorps, 1 Barred Rock, and 2 Golden Laced Wyandottes (which are the two I wanted most of all.

They all arrived as day old chicks on April 6th.

DSC01172 DSC01176 DSC01173

Of the 5 chicks, 1 of the Golden Laced Wyandottes died after 3 days, which, from what I hear is fairly common, and the other Wyandotte turned out to be a rooster. I figured out that he was a rooster a couple of weeks ago when I went to let them out of the coop and he was defiantly crowing at me. Unfortunately, for me I can't have a rooster in the village, but luckily for me a friend of mine has been raising chickens and lives in the country so he traded me a hen roughly the same age for my rooster. After all of that I now have 2 Black Australorps and 2 Barred Rocks, and hopefully in a month or two I'll have two more girls hatched from eggs fertilized by the rooster I traded away.

SANY0338 SANY0345 SANY0354

So now the girls are about 14-15 weeks now and I'm still waiting on eggs. Day after day I trudge out to their coop and check the nest boxes hoping to see that first delicious brown egg.

The wait continues, we'll see what tomorrow brings.

SANY0356

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...