Saturday, September 11, 2010

Who doesn't love knotty pine?

Well, L Bird wants some new night stands for the bedroom. Ours are the cheapo kind that generally lasts a little over two nights before a shelf snaps and the whole thing falls in on itself. So the state of our night stands leaves a lot to be desired. But I have pieced them back together and we have made the best of them, but we definitely could use new ones.

One of my other hobbies is wood working. I have made a wobbly coffee table (it was fine with a little stabilizing), not one of my best efforts, two book shelves, which came out quite decent, and a really nice quilt ladder. So I figured what the hell I would give a night stand a try.

L Bird loves the country look/theme, so I figured what's more country than knotty pine. So after a quick trip to Lowe's, here's what I got going so far.

SANY0611 

Two sides that have put together with butt joints using my trusty plate jointer.

SANY0612

Two pieces being joined.

DSC01273

Basic stand all framed in. The smaller hole is where a drawer will go.

DSC01275

The finished roughed in frame.

So now I have some finish work to dress it up a bit. I'll build a drawer, then a nice finish routed top plate and I'll dress up the sides with some nice trim work which will also double as legs to give it a little more height. Then sand it all down, stain it and voila - Knotty Pine Country Night Stand, or so I hope.

Well, back out to the shop.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...