Thursday, October 13, 2011

Back to the land... maybe??

So I have always been a planner. I get an idea in my head, then I go crazy researching and trying to learn all I can about the subject to see if it is actually something I want to get into. I guess you could say I am a very calculated risk taker. But once I decide, yeah I can do this, then the planning really starts. I come up with multiple plans and tweak them as they go.

With that said I have an idea that I would really like to try if it pans out. It seems like as each day passes I feel a stronger and stronger pull to return back to the land and get into some small scale farming. I’m not a hippy or a green activist, I’m more of an old soul who likes the satisfaction of producing what you need without the help of the government or big business. I like the idea of being self sufficient. A few of my friends, think I’m nuts and are always busting my chops because I believe in the “Guns and Gardens” (or Cocks(roosters) and Glocks as some of them lovingly call it) movement somewhat. I’m just paranoid worried about the infrastructure and state of this country as well as the world. If the financial economy collapses in one country it has a ripple effect that effects the rest of the world and we are seeing that now. Too many post apocalyptic movies have made me nervous for the worst case scenarios. So being more self sufficient can’t hurt me, right? I love having breakfast with eggs that my chickens made, because I know they a ton healthier than traditional sweat shop eggs. But anyway I’ll step down off my soapbox now.

So my idea is to buy five to ten acres and plant a variety of different vegetable crops with the goal of having a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program. Basically you sell shares of the vegetable crop to people in the community, then on a weekly basis those share holders come and pick up a “share” of the crop. So you get a crate full of fresh vegetables every week and you know that they were grown locally and you are supporting your local economy. Then I think I would get a few more chickens to also offer fresh pastured eggs, and have a few beehives to help pollinate the crops as well as produce honey. I know that I probably wouldn’t make a ton of money, maybe just a little extra to supplement my day job, but I think that this endeavor would be incredibly satisfying. I would be supplying my family and other families with healthy, locally grown produce and eggs and that would be enough for me.

My planning kicked off last night with taking a class at the Cornell Cooperative Extension. It was an “Intro to Farming” for small scale farmers given by Jim Ochterski. The class was extremely helpful. They covered everything from start-up capital to common pitfalls and mistakes. There were also a ton of people there that are operating small scale farms and they offered their real world advice, which was extremely valuable. Overall it was a great class with a lot of great interaction from attendees. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking into ideas about farming.

Well, that’s where I am at now, so who knows maybe in a couple of years I’ll be making it happen. Here’s to wishful thinking and pipe dreaming!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...