Sunday, October 23, 2011

NaNoWriMo Here I Come…

I have been playing around with writing a few short stories, some are good and some are, well let’s just say less than good. But at least I have been writing some to practice what little skill I have. So a few days ago, L Bird’s Aunt Jan, who is always super supportive (Thanks Jan!) sent me a link to the National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) page which you can see here.

The whole thing is pretty interesting, apparently November is National Novel Writing Month. I mean c’mon who would know something like that, but I suppose if you can have National Peanut Day or National Testicles Day why can’t you have a novel writing month, right? The concept is just to write with reckless abandon to editing for 30 days with the goal of writing 50,000 words or roughly a 175 page novel by 11:59:59 November 30th. In their own words “Because of the limited writing window, the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. The kamikaze approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly.
Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing. By forcing yourself to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes.”

Just the bluntness of the purpose was enough to entice me to give it a shot. I mean it will force me to not worry so much about how each phrase sounds and who knows I may actually finish a writing project. I know that whatever I write will not be in any shape to be published, but who knows it may serve as a good starting point to go back and edit and tweak so who knows maybe it could be published and then I could be a bona fide novelist. Pipe dreams, man pipe dreams.

So any of you aspiring writers out there, join me in bringing it full on to this thing. Yeah we’ll produce a bunch of schlock, but it should be fun, right? Wish me luck…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...