Monday, February 21, 2011

More green thumbing, I guess…

Well, I am still on my green thumb/spring needs to get here quick kick. So yesterday I was in need of another project and as I was thumbing through a magazine I saw an interesting bird feeder that used simple materials, wood and a mason jar. I figured what the hell, I could probably figure out how to make that and set out to find some scrap wood and a mason jar. I'll give you a quick and dirty look at what I did.
DSC01329
DSC01331
The base cut, and crude circles drawn on the two sides and the front.
DSC01334
Holes cut and walls attached to the base.
DSC01336
DSC01337
The jar put into place.
DSC01338
A backstop put in to keep the jar from backing itself off the feeder and a quick coat of stain and there you go an interesting feeder.
You put some seed in the bottom of the mason jar and then slide the mason jar into place. Then the birds can fly in through the side holes and then into the jar to eat. It works well for small birds like sparrows and finches while it keeps blue jays and starlings out.
I thought it was pretty neat, so I thought I would share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...